In 1862, French writer Maxime Du Camp saw Marina Grande as "...a tiny pebble beach cluttered with boats drawn out of the water, a row of flatroofed houses facing the sea...".
As there was no harbour, people arriving had to disembark directly onto the shore astride the sailors.
Only in 1876 was a primitive landing-stage built and it was not until 1928 that the first wharf designed for embarking and disembarking operations was built.
At the end of the presente-day jetty, in Piazzale Vittoria there is the funicular station for Capri, the bus station for both Capri and Anacapri and the taxi-park.
To the left of the square, continuing along Via Cristoforo Colombo, and passing "Largo Fontana" and the seaside district, we reach the tourist marina.